Dr. Sytsma has the following earned degrees:
- PhD in Child and Family Development (COAMFT accredited Marriage & Family Therapy degree) from the University of Georgia.
- MS in Community Counseling from Georgia State University (CACREP Accredited).
- Diploma in Christian Counseling from Richmont Graduate University (Psychological Studies Institute).
- BS in Christian Ministry from Indiana Wesleyan University (Marion College).
Dr. Sytsma has extensive research training and experience qualifying him to read and evaluate research. It includes:
- An earned Ph.D. (COAMFT accredited) from a tier 1 research institution (UGA) that included seven (7) different doctoral level courses in statistics, statistical analysis, research methods and research design (plus his dissertation courses).
- Dissertation based on original research (matched pair married couples) on Sexual Desire Discrepancy in Married Couples.
- Ongoing original research over the last 2 decades exploring and reporting on various issues of marital sexuality.
Sex Therapy Training
In addition to the training required to obtain and maintain his professional counseling license, Dr. Sytsma has well over two-thousand (2000+) hours of training in sex therapy. This includes a wide variety of souces and training in about every topic of sex therapy.
- Certification as a sex therapist verifying a professionally accepted level of training and experience in sex therapy.
- Membership in a variety of sex therapy professional organizations that provide annual conferences updating members on advances in understanding and intervention in the field including the International Society of Sexual Medicine (ISSM) and Society for Sex Therapy and Research (SSTAR) among others.
- Over 20 years of clinical experience in sex therapy (see below).
Dr. Sytsma’s clinical experience helps him stay focused on how research applies in the clinical office.
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC#001970) and a Certified Professional Counselor Supervisor (#270) in the State of Georgia.
- Well over 30,000 hours in providing individual, couple, and family therapy.
Dr. Sytsma is a pastor at heart.
- Ordained Minister in The Weleyan Church since 1987.
- Studied theology at Indiana Wesleyan University (BS) and Richmont Graduate University (MS).
- Served as staff pastor in two church starts.
- Currently appointed by The Wesleyan Church as Ordained Minister in Special Service to Building Intimate Marriages, Inc (since 1998).
Subscribe to our premium content to get full access to everything on the site. Current cost is $99 a year.
Click the button below to get started.